- A short news idea (keep to the relevant points only, let us write the ‘story’) - If you’d like to submit a fully-written story, please see our Freelance Report Submission page.
- Who did it? Who was involved? Relevant names (commander names, player group names, etc.).
- Dates. When was it done?
- Links to sources (e.g. forum post, reddit post, Imgur screenshot, etc.).
- Links to relevant people/groups.
- Quotes. If someone (or you) wants to give a quote on the thing you’re reporting, include in in quotation marks “ “ and be sure to include who said it (commander name).
News submissions should be:
- Player-driven or Player-related (see examples).
- Interesting to a wide sample of players, not just a narrow interest group.
- In-universe - no meta references.
Think about your news idea like this:
- What makes this news?
- What is interesting about this idea?
- Why do people need to know?
Example 1: Meta
"Here's everything wrong with Patch X.X and everyone should know all the broken things. <lists all the things>"
Why it's no good: This idea is almost entirely about the game being a game, it references elements of the game in a meta way.
Example 2: Narrow Interest
"How Cmdr One fought Cmdr Two in a system no-one's heard of to test out some new fittings, had great fun."
Why it's no good: While elements of this idea could make a story, the results would be of exceptionally narrow interest, news ideas need to be interesting to a wider audience.
Example 3: Not News
"Cmdr One took some great shots of a nebula, here are the shots, <shows picture>, Cmdr One is out exploring, it's great!"
Why it's no good: This post is an example of something that (while interesting in certain context) has virtually no value to anyone other than Cmdr One. Lots of people go exploring, and lots of people take photos of things they see.
Example 1: Player Driven News
"Cmdrs gathered together for the start of the new Nebula Survey Expedition, over 500 Commanders have signed up for the first ever coordinated survey of all Nebula in the Galaxy."
Why it's good: This event is entirely created by and about players. This is the primary purpose of SAGi and would make a good story. There are lots of angles to take on this, plenty of people to interview, dates to publish, it'll make good footage for the Bulletins and a long-form article for the Magazine. 100% perfect.
Example 2: Player Related News
"Explorer Cmdr One discovered remains of ancient starship floating in the orbit of planet XYZ, this is the first time a non-Thargoid starship has ever been found"
Why it's good: This event is part of the game story, but it was found by a player and it's of interest to the playerbase as a whole, this discovery will likely lead to new story elements and a lot of player-involvement in the future. This would make a great Bulletin or Magazine article.
Example 3: General News
"Patch X.X is out, new ship module is released that allow the use of a new "space Gate" to allow fast-travel to Colonia from the Bubble"
Why it's good: This event isn't player-centric, but this change will significantly affect the way people play the game. This can be made into a story about new technology, interviews can be done with citizens of Colonia, Explorers will have comments about it, etc. It's not player driven, but is impactful enough to the entire playerbase to warrant a story.